Tuesday 8 October 2013

Task 1b: Professional Communication Technologies


When I first read the words “Web 2.0” and “Professional Communications Technology” my brain went into overload and shutdown and I switched to stalking fellow ‘Tweeters’ and ‘Facebookers’. And then it suddenly clicked, I was currently using ‘professional communications technology’ and had been using it for as long as I can remember both socially and professionally. It then made me realise just how important Web 2.0 is within modern day society in the ways we communicate, collaborate and share with others.

I read the reader twice and felt the next place I should look would be Tim O’Reily’s “meme map”. This was developed at a brainstorm during a conference at O’Reilly media and displays how ideas spread from the core of, what is, Web 2.0. 



From here I still felt I needed things clarifying so I turned to ‘YouTube’ - another feature of Web 2.0 that I use nearly everyday without even thinking about it. Here I found an interesting video explaining how it’s us making Web 2.0 what it is:


Not only did I think it was informative but I also found it aesthetically pleasing and clever how the information was presented throughout the video. The video ended with, “Web 2.0 is not just linking the internet, it is linking people”. From the information I have gathered, I feel this sums the professional communication technologies up well because I couldn't imagine this modern day society without Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. Could you? As a tool of both networking and communication, Web 2.0 not only encourages, but it also enables participation.

These social networking sites are a perfect example of how we are socially connected through the use of Web 2.0, but what about learning? How does it affect that? Well, like we saw in the video, “Think of the 100 billion times a day humans click on a web page, teaching the machine what we think is important and each time we forge a link between words, we are teaching it an idea. So simple tasks as ‘googling’ a topic of interest is, in itself, expanding Web 2.0. For me, and others just starting out on the BAPP course, it would not be possible without the use of Web 2.0. It acts as a platform to other forms of communication, particularly in the industry we are all entering (or have already experienced) and helps us get connected to each other. 

However, whilst it is good that we can so easily see how everyone is getting on and give feedback in relation to the blogs, it also raises other issues with regards to the ethics involved. Everyone these days; including perspective employers; can type your name into a google search bar to find out that extra bit of information you may not have included, or wanted, on your CV! This is why it is incredibly important to make sure your ‘twitter’ or ‘facebook’ or ‘blog’ shows you in your best light and that you only disclose information you’re happy to be seen by other members of the public!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    I think you have pitched this exactly right. On the one hand, we have all the potential to network and to learn and gain in other ways from our use of Web2.0. However there are pitfalls. You cite the issue of others seeing your online presence and the need to manage that careful. I would add that there are real risks online as well.

    Good post, keep working on developing your skills in critique, and make a point of commenting to others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan,

    Thank you for the feedback, I did mention briefly about being cautious of what you have online but accept that it is not very detailed. I have discussed it more in "Task 1d: 2d Images" If you would like to look at that.

    ReplyDelete