Thursday 24 October 2013

Campus Session 2

Unfortunately I arrived late to this session so missed out on the start of the first exercise, but I soon picked up that it was all about the method of thinking and essentially what the whole course is evolved around. For those who were not there, we were given a diagram of three circles, one inside the other which was "Mapping Professional Domains". I missed the first words that the rest of the group had done but I was there for the key word "knowledge".  Personally I thought this was a very interesting word to use because in my opinion, knowledge is the key to everything because without it, nothing can be achieved. The inside circle was 'My inner world' which represented what certain words or events meant to just you or how they affected just you. For me I just put down that it was knowing something (obviously!) but Alan brought up a good point that it is all about memory making because at the end of the day, we only know what we know due to memories we have of things that have happened. The next circle out was 'Tools, technologies and methods'. This section immediately made me think of Web 2.0 and how we can use this and other tools to help expand or develop what we know. But also, how is it, that the 'knowledge' is put across to us. Finally, the outside circle was 'The outside world'. And was what other people bring to your learning and what you may learn from other people. This caused quite a big discussion amongst the group and everyone gave a really good input of their ideas. The one that stood out for me was that in the outside world it is "everything we don't yet know". On top of this, the outside world can offer you a different way of thinking which will also help develop you as a practitioner.

For the second part of the session, the group was split and the Module 3 students went away to work together and the Module 1 students got a chance to work with some of the Module 2 students. This was really nice to get the opportunity to meet and work with people who had already experienced what we are now working on and could give us some much needed advice and encouragement! Furthermore, we were able to hear their chosen topics for their inquiry and then were able to have a group discussion about where they were going with the inquiry and questions they were going to ask and how they were going to do.

This then led into another discussion about "Learning". For me especially I am struggling to get to grips with part 2 of this module 'The Reflective Practitioner ' and so this really helped me. I couldnt understand why I would benefit from writing, what I felt was trivial information, in a 'personal journal'. However, Alan, along with the rest of the group, helped break own that essentially, learning is an "experiential process" so by me writing something down that may not mean much at that moment in time, I will then be able to reflect on it in the future and the take something from it. We also learn from experiences we have, and this links back to the discussion of knowledge earlier in the day, we reflect on that experience to gain new knowledge.

I hope that this helps those that were not there on Tuesday as it greatly helped me and I am happy to go into more detail is there are any questions!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    Thanks for blogging about this as i couldn't make it for the course day!

    I liked reading how you are struggling to get to grips with this Part 2 as i feel exactly the same, as i am writing my journal i feel that the things i am writing are not that important but as you mentioned when we reflect on them we might be able to take something from it!

    I am interested in what people have chosen for their inquiries, could you tell me a few ideas that people have?

    I like the point that you mentioned Alan brought up about memory making, this is really interesting as i didn't really think of this at first when thinking about experience, but now thinning about it, it does have a big impact. How we remember something will impact how we feel about it and how we perceive it.

    Thanks for sharing your information :)

    Heather X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    Thank you for posting this. Again I was unable to make the campus session so its always nice to hear an overview of what was discussed.

    Your summary of the 'learning' discussion is really helpful to me as although I have started my journal I too wasn't really sure on what I could gain from it. With the idea that experiencing things is a process of learning, writing a journal now seems like a valid tool to help us progress in this.

    Like Heather I too would be interested on hearing what some of the module 2 students picked for their inquiries as this is something I am still quite undecided on.

    Thanks for your help! :)
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather and Emma,

    There were only two there who were doing their inquiry's but nonetheless it was still very interesting as they both chose topics that could be deeply explored. The first was someone who had worked professionally for 15 years and been teaching for the last 10. Without sounding rude, she was of an older generation and so for her inquiry she wanted to explore if age affects teaching and if so how. She herself, kept up to date with all the necessary courses so that she would continue to develop as a teacher but was aware some did not do this so that was one question. She had gotten in contact with colleagues to see if they were willing to help her with this inquiry but with that had to consider the ethics of why some may not be able to take part. Another thing we discussed as a group was that she could observe other teachers to see what they do and ask them questions but could also ask the students to. This however came with the downfall that you could not gain one outcome with this because everyone would have different opinions and a better option maybe for her to get together a 'focus group' where they could all input different ideas and then collectively discuss them.

    The second inquiry was from someone who still wanted to have a career professionally but then wanted to inspire others by what she had achieved. So initially she had wanted her inquiry to be all about what makes someone inspirational and what inspires people to do what they do. Because this was so so broad and you couldn't narrow it down or pin-point one particular thing she then moved to look at motivation. She was really struggling coming up with questions which brought us onto a big group discussion about the topic. I'm afraid I can't exactly remember all the points that got brought up but we got back onto the subject of inspiring someone and that 'to inspire' leads to 'aspire' etc. and we decided that you can be the most inspirational person in the world but not to everyone... What inspires one person may not another and vice versa. So I'm not sure what state of mind she was left in but I think/hope that she was able to take something away from what we all discussed to form a more positive and proactive line of inquiry. I know I personally found it all very interesting anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow this all sounds really interesting and the discussions seem very helpful! Thank you for posting this too. It's useful to see the trains of thought on both subjects :)
      Emma x

      Delete
  4. Hi Amy

    Great to read about the campus session and what went on. Unfortunately I am never going to be able to attend the sessions (10000 mile round trip is a bit far to come for a few hours!) so reading about them on other peoples blogs in invaluable for me.

    Do you have any pictures? Would you consider taking pictures of any materials handed out, or boards written on in future?

    I also like it that you admit you couldn't see the point. There has been occasions throughout the last 4 weeks when I've felt exactly the same about one task or another. I thought maybe I was being arrogant, and I needed to take a look at myself (reflect!) so it's really good to hear that others are feeling the same way!

    Take care

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Megan, I did not take pictures of the session and if i'm being honest that thought never entered my head! I know at the end of the session, Paula would have like to video people discussing the day but did not have her camera and so suggested someone make there own video (considering I have still not done one for Task 1, I have not done that either!) However, I could take a picture of the work sheet we were given if that would help you?

    Yes, Task 2 is really confusing me but i'm finding reading blogs, really helpful.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete