Friday 13 December 2013

Task 3c: Sources of Information


There are many different sources and networks that we all use both professionally as well as socially. All networks are appropriate and valued for different reasons but there are some I would tend to turn to more frequently.

Google

Whether it be for BAPP, a new teaching idea or even what time a shop opened, I would most commonly just type it into google. Most of the time it will provide me with the information I was looking for, however, with it offering thousands of options, there is always that question of the authenticity of the site you on are on and the accuracy of the information it is offering. This is why it is always a good idea to to cross-check the information with another source.

YouTube

To me this is a sort of “visual google” and something on which I rely heavily on both inside and out of the teaching environment. YouTube is perfect for giving me inspiration when choreographing, but also, showing the students performances of different dance styles. For example, the other week we were studying the jazz style of, ‘Fosse’ so I used YouTube to show them a clip of professional fosse dances. While this visual aid is highly beneficial would always watch the video before showing it to the class as ‘YouTube’ is a site where anyone could upload anything so I like to check it is appropriate before showing it. Also, with a site like this available, especially in dance, it makes it very easy to just copy someone else’s work so another thing to be aware of.

Networking in the Workplace

The information I gain from other teachers and staff members, with whom I work with in the school, is invaluable to me. Being new to this profession, there is know better way to learn than from people who have years of experience in this field, in my opinion. Equally, I currently spend a lot of time with a girl who is undertaking her PGCE at the moment, so it’s very interesting to see what she is having to do, what her course entails, and also her opinion of it. One thing to bare in mind is that this information is entirely opinionated and possibly biased and so not necessarily ‘the truth’ about this profession. This idea of networking within the workplace is not something I had considered a ‘network’ until reading other people’s blogs (based on task 3a). It was only on completion of the task that I reflected and thought, why? I had just decided in my head that networking meant only connecting via online sites. Looking back this now seems silly but enhances the importance of sharing ideas.

BAPP

This links in nicely to the point I just made above. Whilst undergoing this course, I am forever flicking from blog to blog, reading what other people have written and from what angles they have approached the different tasks. On one hand, this is a good way of sharing ideas across a wider network (like I learnt in task 3a). As well as this, it would seem that many BAPP students are all hoping to go down the teaching route and this is another way in why the blogs useful because you find a lot of relevant feelings and ideas. Yet, on the other hand, something I often feel, is reading a task and feeling like I have done it wrong. I am aware that on a course such as this, there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’, but I still find that it puts doubt in my mind of my ability. Although I sometimes get concerned with regards to the blogging, I find when everyone comes together for the BAPP campus sessions really helpful. Everyone sharing ideas and ‘bouncing’ off one another really helps me to develop own ideas.

Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

I probably would not regard these as ‘important’ for me personally, however, I still wanted to discuss them because they are sites I use a lot and I am aware that for some people, they are relied on for a different source of information. I know on Facebook, there are groups such as, ‘The Hustle’ from which people can gain knowledge of upcoming auditions or events. I personally, do not tend to write status’ or ‘tweets’ or upload pictures very often and tend to go on them more because I am nosey. So while I can gain information about different people by doing a bit of “stalking” this is also a downfall of sites like these. They are not particularly private and you have to set any of these privacy settings yourself. This is why when I do post, I have to be very careful of what I put on. I think this is also especially relevant within the teaching profession because, let’s be honest, we have all typed in a teachers name on Facebook thinking it will be hilarious to see what their page is like..! For this reason, all my privacy setting are on on all my social networking sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment